Review: LINGER by Maggie Stiefvater

TITLE: Linger
AUTHOR: Maggie Stiefvater
AUTHOR WEBSITE: www.maggiestiefvater.com
GENRE: Young Adult, Paranormal
PARANORMAL ELEMENT: Werewolves
PUBLISHED: Scholastic (July 13, 2010)
MY RATING: 4

FIND ON: Amazon

SYNOPSIS:

(via Goodreads)

Grace and Sam must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

REVIEW:


I was anticipating book 2 to disappoint me. It did not. Yet again Maggie’s writing is delicious, topped with poetic treats throughout. Even her descriptions tend to have a very “Maggie Stiefvater” flavor to them. 

This story wasn’t just told from the point of view of Grace and Sam, now Isabel and Cole too narrate their points of view throughout the book. A few times it was jarring to switch points of view so much, but it added to the tension of the story and really made it really kick butt. She chose the person to narrate who would tell each part of the story best. I bet it took a lot of thought to figure all of that out. Which, for me, was one of the best things about this book. We have mild and decent Sam and Grace, then we have crude and sassy Isabel, then harsh and arrogant Cole. Awesome technique!

I loved the story too, aside from the cutting edge narration and pretty prose. I liked that we get to see a new wolf in action, that there is more scientific investigation, that someone yelled at Sam to grow up, and that Grace’s storyline takes and interesting turn. (No spoilers here.) I loved seeing Isabel grow as a character and how Cole changed from beginning to end. I can’t hardly wait to see what happens in the 3rd book!!!

RATING:


I rate this book at a 4: Very Good and worth the time to read. I was silly to wait so long to partake in this series! But I’m almost glad I did wait, so I don’t have to pine for the next one to come out. (I’ve already reserved book 3 at my lovely library!) I have to say the design of this book is too cool, the cover is green and the whole book of text is green. Coolness!

RECOMMENDATIONS:


This second book is cleaner (sexually) but there is an awkward “almost” sex scene (I’m not telling with whom). And it has drug references in it, but otherwise, it is decent for high school age and up.

SERIES REVIEWS:


Book 1: Shiver
Book 2: Linger
Book 3: Forever

OTHER BOOKS BY MAGGIE:


Books of Faerie:
Lament
Ballad

The Scorpio Races